. We have spent so much of our time and energy trying to get our covid-19 shots that we may have missed some important news events. For Quiz answers you have three choices. 3 points equals an answer of "well of course." 2 points equals an answer of "is that right?" 1 point equals an answer of "I never saw that coming." Ready, here we go.
1. What do you think about Meghan and Harry's revelation that racism is entrenched in the English monarchy. Please circle your answer: 3 - 2 - 1
2. March is Women's History Month. 3 - 2 - 1
3. On Saturday our state Senate passed the first Capital Gains tax. According to Democrats it’s a first step in revamping the tax system, they see the eventual introduction of a Washington state income tax as progressive. Republicans argued this capital gains tax is an income tax and unconstitutional in Washington. 3 - 2 - 1
4. Meghan and Harry pointed out various instances of overt racism in the English media. They also reported concerns voiced within the English monarchy regarding the color of Meghan and Harry's future children. 3 - 2 - 1
5. Apparently Americans are not surprised to hear that racism exists within the English monarchy. 3 - 2 - 1
6. According to Business Insider, we taxpayers paid for Trump's hospital stay when he was fighting Coronavirus. But the private price tag would have been $650,000. 3 - 2 - 1
7. Keep an eye on this seniors, it could eliminate a criminal record for many people. Recently the courts declared unconstitutional our Washington law making it a crime to possess a controlled substance whether or not you knew you were in possession. This is what's referred to as innocent possession of controlled substances. We were the only state left that took a strict liability approach to simple possession. Under our law, if it was found on you, you knew about it. Other states have already changed their laws to require that the person must have intended to be in possession of the controlled substance. Since this ruling, the police are no longer making arrests for simple possession. 3 - 2 - 1
8. IF THE COURT RULING IS APPLIED RETROACTIVELYwe would be able to vacate convictions for simple possession, clean up old arrest records and potentially open doors to better jobs for our young people. 3 - 2 - 1
QUIZ SCORES: Studies have shown that seniors watch the news and read newspapers more than other age groups. So add up your points. If you scored between 18 and 24 points, you are a well informed senior news hound. Congratulations. If you scored between 12 and 17 points, you are informed and open to new ideas. Good job. If you scored between 1 and 11 points, well sir, you are the reason that week after week I research news my seniors should know about. See you next week.
Remember, you read it in THE FACTS NEWSPAPER.