WHAT'S NEW FOR SENIORS: The community is getting back to normal and its time to take a look at programs for seniors.
SHOUT-OUT FOR SENIOR CENTERS: After a year of pandemic response when the centers stopped all regular activities and took on the enormous task of ensuring seniors had access to food, little by little the senior centers are starting to reopen. We are sending our senior centers a huge thank you for essentially keeping seniors alive during the lockdown. Aided by emergency funding and hearts of gold, almost overnight the centers pivoted from social programs and dining to home delivery of hot meals and delivery of food bank boxes of groceries. Then when data showed that eight out of ten covid-19 deaths were seniors, our centers set up senior vaccination clinics. So hats off to the directors and staff of our senior centers for their frontline worker care and protection of seniors throughout the pandemic.
LOW COST INTERNET FOR SENIORS: One of the lessons we learned from a year of lockdown is that seniors who were both isolated and unable to afford internet service were some of the most vulnerable in the pandemic. Comcast has introduced Internet Essentials which offers affordable, high-speed Internet. Low income seniors are eligible if they qualify for programs such as programs the National School Lunch Program, Housing Assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI and others. For just $9.95 per month plus tax you will receive 50/5 Mbps Internet service.
* New customers may be eligible for two months free if they apply by June 30, 2021.
* Signing up is easy and fast from your mobile device at www.apply.internetessentials.com.
PROGRAMS FOR EVICTION ASSISTANCE, GAY PRIDE SENIORS, VETERANS FORECLOSURE HELP:
1. EVICTION ASSISTANCE: African Community Housing and Development provides outreach, case management and in partnership with leading legal service agencies assistance in the prevention of eviction of African seniors.
Visit their website: www.achdo.org Telephone: 206-371-2327
2. GENERATIONS WITH PRIDE: Part of the GenPRIDE Center, a hub for seniors with a cultural focus in serving racially, ethnically and gender diverse lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender seniors.
Visit their website at https://genprideseattle.org/events/ Telephone: 206-393-3400
3. FORECLOSURE HELP FOR VETERANS: HomeSight provides last-resort foreclosure prevention assistance for veterans, military service members and their family members, including counseling followed by direct emergency loans to prevent foreclosure, if needed. Website: www.homesightwa.org Telephone them at 206-723-4355
HEATWAVE AND SENIORS: By all reports this summer will be a scorcher. Once again, the two most vulnerable groups in high temperatures are seniors and children. The general advice is to keep hydrated and consider the purchase of a small air conditioner. Many libraries are now open and they are air conditioned. Keep cool and remember, you read about it in The Facts Newspaper.
"A Special Shout Out to YOU June! Wishing you a wonderful and Happy Birthday! Thank you for your many years of contributions to The Facts Newspaper - We Love You!"